- M.S., Journalism University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2010
- B. S., Journalism University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2006
- B.A. with Distinction, Rhetoric – Creative Writing University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2006
- Dean’s List
Springfield bureau chief – Lee Enterprises newspapers, Springfield, Ill., 01/2016 – present
- Cover Illinois state government and politics from the Capitol for newspapers in central and southern Illinois and northwestern Indiana.
Assistant metro editor/projects coordinator – The State Journal-Register Springfield, Ill., 04/2014 – 12/2015
- Oversaw metro desk at night and on weekends, supervising reporters, coordinating coverage, and editing local and wire stories to meet daily deadlines. Worked with digital editor to facilitate breaking news online and manage social media accounts. Participated in planning of daily and long-term coverage. Coordinated special reporting projects, coaching reporters, overseeing collaboration among newsroom departments, and shepherding in-depth packages from conception to publication in print and online.
City hall reporter – The State Journal-Register Springfield, Ill., 11/2013 –04/2014
- Covered Springfield city government, including city-owned utility, in print and online with an emphasis on enterprise and watchdog reporting. Wrote City Beat blog. Handled metro editing duties one weekend per month and served as substitute metro editor. Worked with digital editor to manage breaking news online, create interactive graphics and databases, and produce videos.
Suburban reporter – The State Journal-Register Springfield, Ill., 04/2012 – 11/2013
- Covered local government, education, business and other issues in communities surrounding the state capital. Duties similar to city hall reporter position. Stepped in to cover high-profile stories on other beats as needed. Began handling weekend and substitute metro editor duties.
Freelance journalist – 08/2009 – present
- Report, write and fact-check for various publications. Recent works have appeared in Chicago, Louisiana Life, Illinois Alumni and St. Anthony Messenger magazines.
Research consultant – 08/2010 – present
- Conduct business-related research and provide writing and editing services for clients including Third Angle Inc. of Wilmette, Ill., and Northwestern University’s Ford Center for Global Citizenship.
Reporter – CU-CitizenAccess.org Urbana, Ill., 05/2010 – 03/2012
- Wrote enterprise and investigative stories on social and economic issues in East Central Illinois for a project sponsored by the University of Illinois Department of Journalism and the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation. Produced radio spots and features, interactive maps and other multimedia content. Wrote blog posts. Helped manage social media presence. Assisted with community engagement efforts. Worked with media partners, including Illinois Public Media, The News-Gazette and Hoy Chicago.
Intern – Illinois Alumni Urbana, Ill., 06/2010 – 08/2010
- Researched, wrote, edited and fact-checked for an alumni magazine with a circulation of 60,000.
Teaching assistant – University of Illinois Department of Journalism 08/2009 – 05/2010
- Taught a discussion section of Introduction to Journalism. Planned and executed weekly lessons and coached students on their writing and reporting in classroom and one-on-one settings.
Staff writer – Suburban Life Publications Downers Grove, Ill., 06/2006 – 09/2007, 01/2009 – 08/2009
- Covered city government, schools, police and fire departments, businesses and local residents for weekly newspapers and daily websites. Also covered Brookfield Zoo. Shot and edited video stories.
DuPage County reporter – Suburban Life Publications Downers Grove, Ill., 09/2007 – 01/2009
- Promoted to newly created position. Covered county government, courts and countywide issues in Illinois’ second-largest county. Wrote breaking news and enterprise stories. Worked with multiple editors to localize coverage.
Staff writer – Daily Illini Champaign, Ill., 09/2005 – 05/2006
- Covered student government and other issues on the University of Illinois campus and in the Champaign-Urbana community.
Copy editor – buzz Champaign, Ill.,08/2005 – 05/2006
- Edited stories for Illini Media Company’s weekly arts-and-entertainment tabloid.
- Investigative Reporters and Editors, January 2010 – present
ACTIVITIES AND HONORS
- First Place, Best Promotion of the Public’s Right to Know – Illinois Press Association News-Editorial Contest, 2014
- GateHouse Media Rising Stars leadership program, 2014
- List of Teachers Ranked as Excellent by Their Students – University of Illinois, spring 2010
- First Place, Marian and Barney Brody Creative Feature Article Writing Awards –University of Illinois Department of Journalism, 2010
- Third Place, Business/Economic Reporting – Illinois Press Association News-Editorial Contest, 2009
- Praise from Peers award – Suburban Life Publications, second quarter 2009
- 826 Chicago Writing/Tutoring Center – Volunteer, September 2006 – August 2009
- College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Course Abroad, London, England, May 17 – June 11, 2004
- Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia Men’s Music Fraternity, Initiated April 2003. Served as fraternity education officer, historian and chaplain.
- Eagle Scout, Awarded Aug. 18, 2002
Click here to view or download a PDF version.